First team: $65
Additional teams: $60
Discount for travelling more than 100 miles each way (determined by Google Maps): $10
Discount for providing a working buzzer set: $5 (maximum $10)
Discount for providing competent staffer: $5 per staffer (maximum $10)
All discounts are subject to the discretion of tournament officials.
This tournament will consist of a minimum of eight games for all teams in a modified NAQT/national format:
- Each game shall consist of two halves of ten tossups each, with each correct tossup followed by a three-part bonus.
- Correct tossup answers are ten points each, with an additional five-point “power” awarded for a correct answer given before a pre-determined point in the tossup.
- Unlike other NAQT/national tournaments, we will NOT assess a five-point penalty for interrupting the moderator during the tossup with an incorrect answer.
- Unless otherwise specified in a bonus set, each bonus part shall be ten points each. Incorrect bonus parts shall immediately rebound.
- MSHSAA timing rules shall apply with the following exceptions:
- Teams shall receive only five seconds to answer a bonus. Moderators will be instructed to prompt after four seconds.
- Math calculation tossups and bonus shall receive ten seconds instead of 15.
- In the event a game is tied after regulation, additional tossups shall be read until the next change in score.
- Each team shall have one 30-second timeout per half. Substitutions, scorechecks, and team conferences may occur at the half, prior to overtime, or during any timeout called by either team.
- Teams rosters shall be limited to seven players; schools are encouraged to bring junior varsity and “B” teams to compete. Teams may play with fewer than four players. Rosters shall be submitted in advance and finalized at registration the morning of the tournament. Players may not change teams during the tournament.
SS WIN is part of the Missouri Quizbowl Alliance’s Winter Invitational series, part of MOQBA’s efforts to promote quality scholar bowl tournaments around the state. Consistent with other tournaments in series, a roster restriction is in place. Schools which qualified for the playoffs at last season’s NAQT Missouri Qualifier, Small School National Championship Tournament, High School National Championship Tournament, or National Scholastic Championship will only be able to place teams on the waitlist, and may only field rosters that do not contain players who competed in the playoffs at those events. Should spots become open on or after December 11th, teams will be moved into the field in the order teams were registered. Because of this restriction, we will not be serving as a qualifier for any national tournament.
Teams will play five morning rounds, break for lunch, then return for at least three afternoon games. This setup is subject to change, depending on the number of teams signed up. We plan to start the team meeting at 8:30 a.m. in the Commons, with the first round set for at 8:50 a.m. and afternoon rounds slated to begin at 1:15 p.m. With the exception of any playoff games for trophies, we anticipate the last game ending around 4 p.m. We are currently limiting the field to 18 teams. Additional teams will be placed on a waitlist and contacted should an opening occur.
To register for this tournament, please visit http://tinyurl.com/2018SCR4WIN.